Nobody outside the city of Detroit thought the Lions stood a chance against the Tom Brady-led Patriots on Sunday. 635 days of winless football has come to an end in Cleveland. Free bud lights for fans all over the city as the losing streak comes to an end, Dilly Dilly! Josh Allen and the Bills made light duty of the Minnesota Vikings, a massive underdog. The same team that went to the NFC championship game a year ago. Staying in the NFC North, Alex Smith and his boring QB style took down Mr. Hail Mary, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. FitzMagic leads a comeback against the Steelers, but not enough.
Nobody likes getting a starting job through injuries, but Baker Mayfield and the Browns will take it. This team looked completely different when Baker took over the huddle. Unfortunately, Tyrod Taylor suffered a concussion late in the 1st half opening the door for Mayfield. The Browns were also down 14-0 at the time. He looked exactly like he did in Norman, OK leading the Sooners. The offense and defense looked inspired once he took over. Creating 2 timely interceptions in the final minutes and he had the final laugh against fellow rookie QB, Sam Darnold. To reward the loyal DAWG Pound fans Bud Light came out with the best promotion ever. The different beer chests are locked up in random places in the city. Once the Browns win their first game a password gets sent and the locks would release.
Serious fireworks took place in the NFC South rivalry between Drew Brees and Matty “Ice” Ryan. 8 Touchdowns and zero interceptions combined, Brees had 3 and Ryan set a career high with 5 TDs. They combined for 810 yards passing. It’s a shame a team had to lose, but in the end the Saints beat the Falcons in OT ruining a career night for Matty Ice. Michael Thomas continues his record-setting pace for catches with 10 more and Alvin Kamara added 15 catches as a RB, an absolute Monster in PPR leagues (point per reception).
The battle of losers took place between the Houston Texans and New York Giants, both teams searching for their first win of the season. The Giants took home the W behind Eli’s very efficient game completing 25 out of his 29 pass attempts and connecting for 2 TDs. Something Giants fans haven’t seen in a long time. Rookie Shaquon Barkley also chipped in with 80 yards and a TD. Giants need to rely on Barkley a lot more than they have. Eli isn’t getting any younger and they need to use Barkley in the passing game more.
Patrick Mahomes is continuing to light the stat sheet on fire. Playing QB in the NFL isn’t supposed to be this easy. Yet, Mahomes continues to do things we haven’t seen. His ability to scramble and throw accurately on the run resembles Aaron Rodgers. No QB in history has thrown more TD passes through a teams first 3 games than Mahomes and his 13 TDs. The second year QB also hasn’t thrown an interception through 3 games. He’s torched the Chargers D, the Steelers D, and most recently the 49ers D. Having as many weapons as he has in KC is borderline unfair. Tyreek Hill, Sammy Watkins, and Travis Kelce in the passing game with Karim Hunt pounding the ball and catching it out of the backfield makes Mahomes job a little bit easier. He still has to execute and so far he looks like a 10 year veteran.
The biggest upset of the weekend came in the Vikings/Bills game. Josh Allen’s Bills took down Mr. Guaranteed money Kirk Cousins Vikings. In case you don’t know, Kirk Cousins received a fully guaranteed 80 Million dollar deal in the offseason. The Vikings pulled off the biggest upset in 23 years. The Bills defense is playing lights. They dominated the Vikings 27-6 with their Rookie quarterback, Josh Allen, leading the way on offense with 2 rushing TDs and 1 passing TD. Ever since Vontae Davis retired at halftime the Bills Defense has allowed 9 points through 6 quarters. Shutting down Rivers and the high-flying Chargers offense and now the Vikings, a team that is a year removed from the NFC Championship game.
Whatever Adrian Peterson’s offseason training program was, every player needs it. The man still looks fresh after 13 seasons. Other than the Great Emmitt Smith, not many RB’s have success like this after the age of 30. AP is now 33 years old. You can say Frank Gore is doing the same, but it is very rare. He ran 19 times for 120 yards and 2 TDs. He’s No. 10 All-Time in rushing yards and No. 7 in Rushing TDs. Peterson plans on playing another handful of years but he will never be a ‘long-term’ solution because that age is very scary. Love watching him do what he’s doing though.
The final upset of the weekend goes to former Patriots Defensive Coordinator Matt Patricia. He decided to leave his daddy Bill Belichick for greener pastures. Greener pastures for Patricia is just across 8 Mile in the land of Detroit. Nobody thought they stood a chance except for the 53 players and coaches. The Lions crushed the Patriots 26-10. How’s this for a Tom Brady stat line? 14 out of 26 for 133 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. Being the defensive coordinator since 2012 and with the Patriots staff since ’04 as an offensive assistant paid huge dividends on this one. Patricia suffocated Brady and shut them down by dictating the tempo the whole game. When you play the Patriots, more times than not Tom Brady dictates how the whole game will play out. The Patriots were favored to win by 6.5 points. In the past, former Belichick coaches have found little success in the NFL. They are 156 wins and 227 losses. A topic for another day.
- Drew Brees became the All-Time leader in completions.
- The Browns (1-1-1) have a better record than the Patriots (1-2).
- Jimmy G.- torn ACL, done for the season.
- AP works his way up the record books.
- Michael Thomas hauls in 10 more, staying on record-setting pace.
- Carson Wentz made his 1st start since week 13 last season. He went 25-37 for 255 yards 1 TD, 1 INT. We need to acknowledge what Nick Foles has done in his absence.
- Cam Newton had 4 Total TD. 2 Rushing 2 Passing.
- Alvin Kamara had 15 receptions.
- The Cardinals debuted Rookie 1st rounder Josh Rosen with 4 minutes down by 2 points to the Bears. That is quite the time to bring in the rookie, let’s hope it doesn’t shake him. Rosen has a ton of confidence, he should be just fine. The Bradford project has come to an end and the Cardinals still owe him a ton of money.
- Calvin Ridley had his coming out party. The Rookie Wide Receiver for the Falcons had 7 catches for 146 yards and 3 Touchdowns.
- Former No. 7 pick for the Chargers Mike Williams had 2 Touchdowns Sunday giving him 3 in the past two weeks.
- The 100 Million dollar coach Jon Gruden is now 0-3. Most of the losing coming in the second half. Which isn’t a good sign when making mid-game adjustments.
- The Dolphins, Rams, and Chiefs are the only undefeated teams left.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick becomes 1st player to throw for 400 yards in 3 straight games.